When you are planning to build a balcony or terrace at your house, there are many structural problems that you should overcome and be concerned. Especially if you have the intention to use this area for some entertainment activities regularly. Building a balcony or terrace is a home improvement that can increase the values of your property. Before you get started to make this home improvement, it will be better if you already make it sure that you already have made all of the essential considerations.
Consider the capacity of load bearing of this structure. Because it is related to how you want to use it. If you have the intention to host a big number of guests in your balcony, you need a lot bigger load bearing than if you only use that space just for the decoration of your house. If it is required, you can consult with the local structural engineer in the region where you live to determine whether the balcony design is feasible or not.
Before you make any investment with your money into the implementation of your design ideas, make sure that there are relations with your local building codes. The local regulations can significantly limit the additions of specific features in this area to increase safety. Consult with the planning department to figure out what concessions which have to be made before the construction is started. This will be helpful to remove the need to backtrack in the efforts of your building and the associated loss.
Determine if you want this area to have specific features for food preparation or for you to get relaxed in this space. Outdoor kitchens are the primary trend in the designs of a backyard. However, you are also able to add outdoor kitchens in the elevated structures which are supported well, such as a terrace or balcony. Several people even install a hot tub or small wading pool in their balconies. It depends on the sizes of their balconies and their household needs. These are way more accessible and cheaper features to be added at the beginning of construction than they are after the structure of the balcony is already done.
Some people probably want to cover their balconies or terraces to create additional privacy at their houses. There are semi-permanent and permanent solutions which can be used. A privacy screen can give the best level of adaptability. But you also may want to consider the permanent solution, which uses a glass enclosure. This is a great idea to create a garden for the whole year.
There are a countless number of features that you can choose from. However, every addition has to complete the existing decorations on the main structure building. If you got a copper trim or downspout at your house, consider adding lighting fixtures which are made for copper materials and a railing or enclosure with some copper accents. You sure do not want your designs to crash so that your house looks like a piece of mess which are put together.
Spare your time to calculate your budget for this addition at your house while calculating the specific features you wish to be included. It is probably the best to finish this project little by little that needs a simple and manageable payment. With this way, you can add whenever your budgets are available. It is up to you whether this project is all at once the project or an affordable, gradual, and progressive project.
Always pay attention to the need for a suitable and proper railing. It is vital to obey the local building regulations in the region where you live and to limit the liability of the homeowner. Moreover, a railing is essential if you already have kids who love to play on the balcony or terrace. Fortunately, these structures can aesthetically please because they are both supportive and safe at the same time. You can choose a railing which is made from a steel material or stainless steel material, or decorative glass balustrades. The best selection will be able to increase the safety of the users and also create a visually attractive nuance with a unique ambiance.
The Functions of Balcony
- A balcony can increase the aesthetic and design value of your house. Having a balcony will make your home more worthy with an enhanced design.
- A balcony acts as an extension of space. Because its location is attached directly to the side of the room on the upper floor, it can be a solution for expanding area at your house. For example, to expand the bedroom upstairs, place a balcony on the side of the room that is directly related to the outer space. It can be on the front, side, or back, depends on the location of the bedroom.
- A balcony widens the view. If your balcony is placed on the top floor, it has a view window which is wider than the floor below. This makes a balcony a great place to enjoy the view of the environment around the house. So that you can enjoy your quality time with your family and get relaxed.
- A balcony acts as an element of revitalization. By having a balcony, you will be able to make the walls in your house look more lively. Moreover, with the presence of a balcony, the look of the facades will look more dynamic.
- A balcony can reduce climate impacts. A balcony which is jutting out of the wall leaves space underneath. So that the balcony can become a shade from the sun’s heat. It is beneficial if you still want to use your balcony during a hot summer. So that you can use it every time.